PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2010, 07:27
thedeadseawasonlysick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been a Training Captain and a Check Captain for over twenty five years, in the airlines and corporate. In that time I've seen pilots who have flown the A/C better than I ever will and some who should never have been passed out of initial training. Being sub-standard is not age dependent. Pilots of any age who refuse to accept advice or help are just as much a liability as those who do not proffer it. If I am flying to a new airfield that the other pilot is familiar with or we have an abnormal situation, I have a right to expect all the help he can give and he has a right to expect the same from me.
I have experienced the days before CRM became the norm and I would not like to return to them. Some posters on this thread seem to feel that they have been put on earth to judge the competence of their crew members in a very smug, self satisfied way. This is just as bad a character trait as the overbearing Captains they are complaining about. Modern a/c are designed for a multi-crew environment and that requires that we fly as a crew. Anyone who deliberately withholds pertinent information from another crew member, for whatever reason, has no place in aviation.