PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2010, 03:18
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SFFP
<<The only fear now is that the system will continue the cover up with its attempts to restrict the evidence shown to the enquiry. >>
It's not just “the system” effectively limiting the scope of any inquiry, is it? All this repeated waffle is hiding that many basic questions as to the navigation equipment and use have not been answered.

Chinook240
<<But Walter they don't, as usual you don't have a complete grasp of how the Chinook HC Mk II and its systems work. >>
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot – have I not been pushing for explanations and discussion on such stuff so that we all can have an understanding on what they had available and how they may have been using it both in the long leg towards the Mull and locally close by it? Hopefully you have volunteered yourself with kicking off such a discussion with your version – regarding a crash 16 years ago, you would hardly be giving away secrets and practices within the cockpit should not give any enemy an advantage (unless the enemy is the general public wanting the whole truth) – don't worry about being a bit rusty and getting things wrong as I am sure you would be corrected by others in a proactive way and we should end up with that common understanding that should have been a foundation to those involved in the inquiries over the years.
For example, I imagine there must be many out there who have not seen a “steer meter” in action (me too!) and would not understand its use independent of an HoSI – perhaps envisioning the big Chinook fish-tailing along as the HP tries to keep on track (would have some latency wouldn't it?) like chasing a VSI but laterally.

Anyone find out about the switch on the SuperTANS? - no? Simple enough, one would have thought - if STANS is turned off, do Doppler and GPS subsystems still carry on calculating?
I think not but others have asked this question and it should be able to be answered by now.