PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft wreck in Princess Charlotte Bay
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2002, 06:21
Torres

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Interesting range of comments! Regarding the P-39's, I stand corrected: There are P-39 wrecks all around the top of the Cape.

KaptinZZ. Sid still has his P-39 and it came from the flight that never reached PNG. His aircraft are now displayed at his museum at Mareeba - and well worth a visit.

Blue Hauler. All that is left of that P-39 (on the northern side of Bamaga airstrip, virtually opposite the "passenger terminal") is a few pieces of rusted steel. However, a few hundred yards further along the same track is a remarkably near complete but somewhat dismantled Beaufort!

TwinNDB. Forget it. All war time wrecks are the property of the Commonwealth. And besides, in the hundreds of world war two wrecks I've seen in PNG and Australia, very few, if any now could in any way be restored to even static display. Most no longer even resemble an aircraft after the ravishes of impact forces, bush fires, corrosion, souvenir hunters, or in many cases being destroyed post impact by our military. The good ones have long since gone.

Edited by Torres to highlight the inverted commas around the words "passenger terminal" at Bamaga - I use the term very losely. Those that have been there will understand.

Last edited by Torres; 8th Aug 2002 at 06:30.