PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Wealthy businessman attacked a helicopter"
Old 27th Aug 2010, 01:50
212man

Received 336 Likes on 188 Posts
Having had the dubious pleasure of having not one, but more like twenty one people decide to clamber into my aircraft, through every opening possible, I can vouch that getting airborne is the best option if possible. In my case, it was not possible to do so safely and I was then left with the safety of everyone around the aircraft literally in my hands. Firstly as the co-pilot was dragged out, smacking the cyclic as he went, then with a bunch of various individuals climbing through my window, across the centre pedestal and over my back, who were more concerned with restraining my arms as they thought I would try and escape! The prospect of the cyclic being exercised through it's full range, whilst running, and a bunch of people fighting under the disc did not fill me with delight Luckily I was able to free my arm long enough to pull the T-Handles and turn off the battery, then back to the controls for the run down - which being unable to use the rotor brake took an age!

At least I got a free holiday out of it.......

So, I would say that getting airborne - if safely possible - is by far the best option. People grabbing you whilst at the controls is no fun.