PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Arann
Thread: Aer Arann
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2010, 21:23
bananamanuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VirginBlue - your comment around the PSO contracts may well be true, but Aer Arann is much more than just the PSO routes. RE are flying many routes from UK regions to the Irish regions, like Luton-Galway, Waterford, Manchester- Galway etc. so yes, the PSO's give an element of income that other carriers won't have access to, but these are not really the basis of the RE business model any longer.

Yes they operate the most PSOs, but they have a network far wider than that and any reductions in services on the international network (i.e. outside Ireland) will have an impact on the regional airports.

General comment -

Aer Arann have punched well above their size for a good number of years now, the absolute convenience of travelling from London to the heart of Galway or Waterford etc is excellent. I cannot fatham why some people prefer larger airports over the smaller ones. I can say honestly that every time i've flown RE, and for a non-business traveller, its quite a lot, I have always found the convenience of flying to the heart of my destination great - it gives me so much more to my holiday than travelling from a hub airport out to where i want to stay.

I want and hope the Aer Arann brand survives and is enhanced. I want and really hope for the hundreds of people that are linked in every way to RE's operations that all turns out well.

RE state on their website that they are not going out of business, this is the US version of Chapter 11 - so many companies use that and get through it over in the USA, RE - you've gotta do it to.

Keep confident in your airline and you'll have at least one loyal customer here (although I usually book for 4).

Dave