PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bill Hamilton gives REX 6 months
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2002, 04:11
awetzel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The following is posted on behalf of Mr Andrew Kerans

All. At the risk of attracting friendly, unfriendly and random fire (nothing much positive on here) I will have my 2c worth.

Bill Hamilton was not wishing doom and gloom on REX. Those pilots are our members, Bill knows that and works hard looking after their interests. He was simply stating that given the cost of landings, en route, insurance, regulation and compliance operations like REX face an uphill battle.

Now what this has done is prompted AOPA interest in supporting regional thin route airlines. We will be discussing it at out Board meeting this weekend. Perhaps one option is the big carriers (Q) paying a Universal Service fee to support thinner or non-profitable routes to ensure that all Australians have access to reasonably priced air travel. Bloody hell, we pay to enhance the property value of Sydney siders, why not scrap that and pay to keep small airlines flying!!!

Anyway, I will be doing my bit to support REX, I will lobby for them and fly with them whenever I can. What about you???

Positive suggestions welcome.

Andrew Kerans
AOPA Director