PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Captain's authority versus ADA.
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2010, 15:30
Northbeach

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Free money up for grabs - - - joy abounds!

I am not an attorney nor am I associated with law enforcement, therefore the opinions expressed do not represent legal advice nor should they be relied upon as advice upon how to proceed. Now isn’t that irritating? But the fact of the matter is here in the United States any person or entity can be taken to court and sued for any alleged infraction. Ironclad advice and unequivocal decisions are hard to come by, as appeals, motions to dismiss, sealed settlements and varying interpretations abound.

As the Captain, I do not have the authority to “arrest” anybody – anytime. I can call for airport security (Police force in most airports) and they have the authority to arrest. But when they show up they will conduct their own investigation-they do not report to me, nor do they do my bidding as the Captain of the flight.

In the USA your passenger will have no trouble finding an attorney to sue your airline as most large corporations are viewed as outside the law renegade cash cows deserving to be milked dry. Nor is the outcome of their lawsuit by any means clear. As there have been many crazy (in my opinion) awards by juries; much to the delight of the legal profession.

Our airline had contracted with an outside medical vendor. We contact the vendor whenever we have any kind of medical event in the air or on the ground. The medical vendor has the resources to provide guidance-and they assume the legal responsibility (provided we follow their advice, act in good faith, etc, etc, etc……..) If you want the name of the organization PM me and I will forward it to you. I do not work for them and I have no commercial involvement.

Good luck!

Northbeach