PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confused and frustrated
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2010, 12:09
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not really, Molesworth. I havn't recently made a survey of charges at other clubs, they probably differ quite a lot. So mentioned ours for comparisons.

The point I was trying to make is that in the USA power flying is relatively cheap. As the entire nation is addicted to petrol, no politician dares to load any significant duty onto fuel. Furthermore, private flying in the US is accorded respect and opportunity to fly in wide open spaces, free landings at every municipal airport, turn the lights on at night by pressing your transmit button, and welcomed into airways by enroute radar services. They appreciate your call and keep track of you and let you know about sigmets, I could go on and on.

But gliding in the US? a very very poor relation. Governed, alas by the government, alias the FAA. Which certifies instructors who have NEVER EVEN BEEN CROSS COUNTRY! So gliding enterprises are pretty much on a hiding to nowhere. Sending up two punters at a time in a tin shed for a sightseeing bimble. ( If you want to fly a decent glider in the US, import one from Europe)

Consequently, the few gliding CLUBS that survive over there are haunts of expatriate europeans; and most American gliding is somebody trying to make a buck.

In the US, gliding is more expensive than power.
In Europe, gliding is cheaper than power.

Please tell me I'm wrong!