PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RUMOUR - NZ Loan-funded Training to be slashed...
Old 26th Aug 2010, 05:39
nzheliwhore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel the standard of training in NZ has fallen, however this cannot be totally blamed on the student loan system. Yes it allows a 19 year old to instruct up to CPL level, However , What depth of experience does the instructor have?. I know of B cat instructors who are 21 years old. They teach a sillybis and that is it.. The CAA needs to address this. I have been shockd at the level of knowledge of some guys I have flown with. I own a cessna in NZ and finding some one desent to look after it while I am away is very hard. i only get home a couple of times a year and thats when I use it.. The skill and knowledge level is not there, AND it is not the students fault entirely. I know one instructor who spent years on the dole drink whiskey, now he is an instructor and mentor for a professional pilot?. I think that is a bit of a joke actually and his students reflect this. Back in the old days, you were judge alot on whose instructor name you had in your log book, becos many of the pilots out there were working professionals, not just instructors. They imparted extra knowledge to there students over and beyond the syllibis. This has all gone now and It is partly guys like myself whom are partly to blame for not getting instructor ratings and passing on to the industry. At the end of the day most are too busy trying to earn a living as a pilot and prepare for retirement.

The up side for the CAA when they cut student loans, is that if 80% of training crashes were from student loan providers, it could effectively cut the accident rate in the area by 80%, And they would look like they are doing there job.

There is also the arguement that prior to student loans flying was cheaper. I aggree becos these schools can charge wot they like and they know they are going to get it. If you look at the non funded clubs, flying is still the same proportionally. When I took my first flying lesson, it was in a cessna 150 ZK CSG 12 dec 1978 and it was $26 per hour, When I went solo on my 16th birthday in C 150 CXI it was $27 per hour. I bought a really good pair of boots just after going solo. Top quality great brand $26 they cost. When recently in NZ, I bought a great pair of working boots, great brand top quality. $235, How much is a cessna 150 these days?. To get a cpl self funded at 21 is not out of the question. If you want something badly enough you will get it.
To have saved the funds and then invested to make it grow and get a student loan... well I suppose it is using the system if you have the money. To leave NZ with student debt and no job is financial irresponsibilty.

NZH