PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agni Dornier down near Kathmandu
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2010, 04:02
DeathStar-Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't fly there either. Esspecially when their pilots are hired on status and caste, instead of skills and ability... FACT

Which makes this terrible accident even harder to come to terms with.

As has happened in the past, and I dear say will again in the future, the 'experienced' pilots think they know where they are even when in IMC. But when VFR, and NOT on a published IFR route, well below MSA (in excess of 30,000ft) you're VOR/DME becomes inaccurate due to it's distance from the station. Maybe you have a GPS, as some are being retrofitted in Nepal. But even then QNH is rarely available at strips so you have no true indication of where you REALLY are.
It is a general rule that all strips go by KTM QNH. Hence if you are flying in west Nepal to Dolpa (150 odd Nm away) you still use KTM QNH... and pilots still fly IMC, even when FIS reports well less than favourable wx (SCT GND 015 030 BKN 060) and did I mention these strips are all one way, in valleys, and at a density altitude well above 8000ft!

I think CAA Nepal needs to wake up, get over themselves, and make flying in Nepal safe to keep the magnificent Himalayas free of further unecessary accidents.