PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2010, 22:54
GreatBear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just semantics, Henra. Bearfoil uses "out of control." My thoughts are that the aircraft was, indeed, in trouble and upset before 0210. It was at 0210, FOLLOWING a set of unfortunate events already underway (the upset), that the AP gave up, which was at the same time the aircraft reported in with an automatic position update and began its cascade of ACARS messages. Could have already decelerated. Could have been by then higher or lower than FL350.

I spent a few frustrating minutes unsucessfully looking for mm43's link to his ACARS message list. Whew! This and the old thread show about 6,500 mostly relevant posts. Would be neat if someone had the time to properly index this rich material with hypertext links based on content... Hint, hint for volunteers.

Lonewolf 50, you ask many good questions. My understanding is that spin testing, while required for certifying light aircraft, is not part of the certification process for transport aircraft/heavies. If Airbus knows how an A330 might fall in a deep stall, they haven't shared that simulation with us, as far as I know. Probably not an animation a manufacturer would want to submit to YouTube, in any case. There have been many conjectures on this thread. My own conjectures are based on a single experience many years ago in a light aircraft (my CFI got us out before 360 degrees with a gutteral comment "ooh, that was close!"), some study, and my imagination -- so my scenario should be discounted appropriately.

Bearfoil, how does your breakup scenario account for 4 minutes of ACARS messages successfully sent? Following "Rudder reversal, with 7.9 degrees available and 16 total, rapid and non consonant deflection at M.82" and loss of the V/S, does the rest of the aircraft continue to function? Continue to broadcast ACARS maintenance messages, none warning "Hey, I can't find my vertical stabilizer?" When/where is the Crew Rest spit out? The bodies? The tray trolleys?

GB