PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2010, 22:02
ExSp33db1rd

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
... not the guy punching the buttons in the busy TMA
What are you doing heads' down punching buttons in a busy TMA ?

Doesn't anyone FLY the aeroplane anymore ?

Teaching young whizz kids to handle the 747, a colleague remarked that the wheel had come full circle - did I remember those 'old' W.W. II Captains of our youth, some couldn't fly an Instrument Approach to save their lives, literally, but pop out of cloud too high, too fast, not configured, not lined up, and say " the airfields over there, Sir " ( never forget the Sir ! ) and they would straighten up and fly an immaculate visual approach and landing -even with a four engined tail-dragger ! whereas the computer trained youths that we were now training could hand-fly an instrument approach down to minima better than we ever could, or probably ever would ( maybe ! ) but then they had to land a real aircraft on the real earth. Some had major problems.

O.K. - things have moved on and you probably execute more auto-lands than I could shake a stick at, but one dark, dirty night ................... and I know which age group I'd rather be sitting back in row 86Z with now when that occurs.

Flying experience cannot be taught - handling computer controlled machinery can.