PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Agni Dornier down near Kathmandu
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2010, 21:38
rattler46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Names

Not chiming in here often, but this last comment (and one along the lines before) touched me:

I feel PC can be carried too far: I might be completely off track here, but, as a guy who has developed interest for air disasters even before staring flying for himself at 14 (as with 12, living at Zeppelinheim - the town of the Zeppeliners with a long aviator tradition, right by the (then) Frankfurt USAFB - in 1958 I got ordered to sort out all the stacked, partly burned, watered, torn etc. DAeC crash investigation files that had survived the war, in order to make the money to start schooling on SG 38s later ):

For me those names and identities mean much, as they allow me to check up on lives and to rather seriously mourn their passing (I know some call this morbid, I dont):

I am, frankly, fed up to the point of spilling witht he usual perfunctuary R.I.P. comment to the numbers, which to me means that nobody ever gives a true darn about the persons/lives/families behind tragedies (and, for me as ex mil, this also counts for military MIAs/KIAs, be they friend or enemy), I think if you truly feel something about aviation, devote a second to look up those faces in any facebook, etc., just in order to remind you that we are not meant to be system operators but aviators with a sense of responability towards the freight or passengers we are carrying, and to highten the feeling for the *never let the same thing happen twice* idea of the late 40s by connecting a face to the statistics.

We dont hide the names of our fallen war aviators, why the names of the fallen civil freight some civil aviators transported?

PC has go me haywire, but it is probably a sign of the times that people believe in it being important.

So, if those comments meant to incite a poll, for me it is "keep those names coming".

FWIW, ready for incoming,

Rattler