PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2010, 20:52
Landroger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ChristiaanJ

Ah now, those boards are actually very good looking boards. I particularly like the PROM board and although I know about the programming of those, it is only at third hand. I certainly had to install many of those PROMS that had been specially 'burned' in Milwaukee, to overcome a particular problem.

I'm a bit embarrassed about missing that multi pin socket on the AICU board. I somehow thought it was a specific function chip or a development test socket. Some of those used to appear and remained on some of our boards.

I'm not surprised about the massive cost of replacing certain boards in the later years. Some of those components would have been made of unobtainium long before the millenium. And I just noticed DozyWannabe's question about core memory. I guess it would have been core, because the 8Kb memory boards I spoke about, from the early CT Scanners, were Data General core memory, with a cycle time of 800usec. Although with four way interleaving, we could get that down to the read cycle time of 200usec!!

I freely admit I am staggered at how capable were Concorde's electronics - indeed how capable was the whole aeroplane - despite their rather ..... fundamental nature. My respect for everyone involved in the project increases with every post to this thread.

Roger.