PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2010, 17:46
pulse1

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
JP,

You have, once again, clearly given us your own explanation of what happened that fateful afternoon. I would be surprised if anyone would say that yours is not one of the logical explanations of the accident

However, what I and probably many others find inexplicable is how you can make that judgement “with absolutely no doubt whatsoever”, as required by the rules at the time.

You say:

They....pressed on “in that weather” but you have never been able to say exactly what that weather was with absolutely no doubt whatsoever. All one can say with that degree of certainty is that at least part of the Mull was obscured by cloud.

You say:

“......that this crew were in control of it.” But no-one can know with absolutely no doubt whatsoever that they were in control after waypoint change. Revelations about the airworthiness of the Mk2 must significantly increase the level of doubt about this as well as giving a motive for those who have ignored the rules about doubt.

You say:

“It is my unsupported, but logical, belief..” – this is not a statement which qualifies for absolutely no doubt whatsoever. You cannot be logical, in a scientific or legal sense i.e the ONLY logical belief, unless you can support it. Your belief is only logical in the sense that it is not illogical i.e. it could have happened exactly as you describe.

Any logical human being must accept that there is a degree of doubt. This doubt could be weighed against the doubt that a highly trained SH crew would, quite unnecessarily, delay their turn to the left having set the new waypoint. That doubt could be reduced when it is likely that they were being monitored by a member of the crew who was known for his outspoken comments about such poor airmanship. This does not mean that they didn’t actually do it, but what I am trying to do here is explore this concept of doubt which seems to be beyond your understanding.

Rather than repeat the old arguments it might be helpful if you could explain how you see "ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT WHATSOEVER" in relation to your stated opinion.