PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2010, 17:12
Machinbird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The problem is that it would require the average water temperature throughout the whole tubing to be identical.
Also the steam generators may be identical, but if the volume of the systems is signifcantly different the time to achieve equilibrium will be different between them.
With a long tubing in the stdby system it should take considerablư longer to achieve the same average temperature and thus steam pressure as in the systems with less volume.
Regarding flash boilers:
The constant pressure is achieved by the moving of the catapult in combination with a constant evaporation rate. If the piston wouldn't move, the pressure should rise.
Hi Henra,
The key temperature would be the peak water temperature in the systems. That would control the vapor pressure. See the chart below.In the case of a pitot tube, I would expect the water trap area of the tube to be the warmest spot on a frozen up pitot tube.
The flash boiler doesn't build pressure indefinitely because it is sealed in. There is a characteristic equilibrium pressure for each temperature. In the case of the catapult steam receiver, the water temperature generates about 550 psi steam pressure at equilibrium. (I haven't personally operated any of the newer catapults so I don't know the exact number).
The below chart gives pressure in Torr versus water temperature. 1 Torr= 1 mmHG.
50 Torr=1.96850366457 inches of mercury
100 Torr=3.93700732914 inches of mercury
200 Torr=7.87401465828 inches of mercury