PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA medical: Closing date for comments
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2010, 07:04
BEagle

Received 334 Likes on 116 Posts
My understanding (I would need to look up and check advice from the UK medical 'guru' on this) is that the proposed medical standards for the LAPL are almost the same as the UK NPPL, and are based on the FAA Class 3 (but I stand to be corrected).
No, the standards proposed by EASA in part-MED are vastly different to those required for NPPL, Ballon and Airship, Gyroplane and ORS4 No.756 Medical Declarations.

On this point, the CAA Medical folk are very firmly in total agreement - the current Medical Decalaration system is entirely proportionate for such flying.

The LAPL is, as Whopity has stated, not backed up by any proven safety case. It simply isn't necessary.

All sub-ICAO pilot licensing should be devolved to national authorities. Those who wish to fly internationally should comply with current ICAO / JAA requirements; those who wish to fly within national airspace only should be permitted to do so under current national arrangements.

Fortunately EASA has been instructed that, if it re-invents the wheel, its proposals will not be accepted by the European Parliament. But they don't seem to have listened to this instruction.........