PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Law Question: Turn onto final
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2010, 02:34
ops_guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Law Question: Turn onto final

Hi guys,

I am sitting my CPL Air Law exam shortly and have been studying with the Bob Tait text book that was issued in December 2008. Obviously there has been a few changes since then. I am seeking clarification with regards to the turn on to final approach.

In the textbook it refers to CAR 166, Part F for the reference that the turn ontoto final must be made before 500 metres from the aerodrome boundary. The latest version of the CARs does not have 'Part F'. Instead, AIP ENR 1.1 p48.5.6 says

" In any case, the turn onto final should be completed by not less that 500ft above aerodrome elevation."

So what I am seeking confirmation on is

1) Has the requirement to be established on final by 500 metres from the aerodrome boundary been dismissed? and
2) The fact that the word 'should' is in the AIP reference does not make it legally binding does it? Obviously we are taught from the start of our training to have turned onto final by reaching 500ft agl.

I would just like to know what correct answer will be in the exam as it is different in the text book practice exams I have done (correct answer in the text is 'by 500 metres from the aerodrome boundary')

Thanks for your help,

Opso