PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Massey University and future job in NZ
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2010, 01:01
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HercFeend

The CT4/E were produced around 1994 I believe. I don't know where you trained but the PA38s & PA28s I've spent all my training hours in date from the early to mid 80s.........
So in the RNZAF you train in 16 year old, basic aircraft based on a design from the '60's, whereas if you go to Massey or CTC for example, you have those nice new plastic thingies with all the nice toys - which I am guessing are only a few years old? I know which I'd choose! I did learn on a PA38, but at the time, it was only three years old.

If you're happy to commit 10 years of your life and a great deal of hard work there are certainty worse choices you could make with your life
The problem with that is, that when the next hiring boom happens (in fact probably the next two if we are talking ten years), you will be stuck in a uniform flying a P3 or a Herc (all of which are 1960's airframes) or an old King Air. As I understand it, only the senior folk get to fly the (also very old) 757. All of your mates will be poling around in Airbii or newish 737s (the lucky ones on 777's and next gen equipment).

The current worldwide pilot requirement exceeds 10,000 pilots over the next ten years (Boeing figures). With most major aviation users showing a decline in new pilot licence issues, now is actually a perfect time to be getting ready. It's very much like it was in the early '80s, when folks were getting right-seat gigs in 767s (in Europe) and similar with only 1000 hours. Those days are coming back, get involved in the military and you will miss it for sure.

The other problem with the RNZAF is that it is in decline, apart from possibly on the helicopter side. Fixed wing has seen no serious investment for decades (since Kahu I would think, the P3 upgrade and SLEP don't really count), and the axing of the strike and Macchi fleets by good old Red Helen was really the end of the RNZAF as a credible force. Don't waste your time.