PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Information on EASA FCL?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2010, 23:39
David Roberts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just returned from a day in Cologne...

I have it on good authority that the EASA 'Opinion' on FCL (excluding medical aspects) will be published 25th or 26th August on the EASA website. The Opinion is the final 'technical' stage as this Opinion goes to the EU Commission for consideration by the Member States' representatives (i.e. part of the political agreement process, which may extend to the Parliament).

In terms of implementation the 'cover regulation' draft in the CRD published in April indicated that for private pilots' licences (ICAO compliant and the sub ICAO LAPL) member states will have the option under Article 14 of the Basic Regulation (216) to phase implementation over a period of up to two or three years (i.e. to 8 April 2015, depending on which licence) but this has to be agreed at Commission level. One the reasons is that Members States' NAAs (UK CAA in our case) have to prepare conversion reports for various national licences, other than the JAR PPL (A) and (H) which will convert to EU licences automatically. This will take time, and the CAA could not start this work until the text of the new EU FCL implementating rules has stabilised.

After this Opinion, the medical part, for which responses to the CRD closed 24th August, will need to be concluded at the techncial level this autumn, and later the work of FCL.008 group will have to have an NPA published for consultation. FCL.008 deals with the proposed new IR in particular.

The CRD on Parts OR and AR (i.e. requirements for training organisations) are indeed planned for publication in September (with a workshop Oct 20-21), but OPS is still on the slow burner.