PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Troops returning from Helmand pay for own flights
Old 24th Aug 2010, 23:01
rusty_monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of days since I lasted posted and I will set the record straight on several items.
Movers (logistics officers) do have Stn Cdrs and the current Boss at AKT is one.

Brize can handle more than one aircraft at a time as advertised in there MOG and the main limiting factor isn't the number of movers but how many passengers can be handled by the terminal at any time, it was designed to handle one comet/VC 10 in and out with a max of 147 pax. It currently handles considerably more than that with very old infrastructure.

Movers are very much aware of the limitations this places on the ground crews and the knock on to servicing times and crew rest limitaions, we are also not willing to place the crews, GEs or pax in danger. Two legal documents for an aircraft are the load and trim and the flight servicing document. The first of these is signed for by a mover and the aircraft capt. (yes I know loadies can too!) the second signed by the GE/Techies and capt. We are part of the loop and aware of how much hard work goes into maintaining the frames and the crews.
It is a team effort to maintain the airbridge and we are all part of it. Something to be justifiably proud of considering how many 1000s of pax and tonnes of frieght that between us we move into and out of theatre with limited assets.

Next onto the stranded pax and Civ air option. The MOD deems it there responsibility to return all passengers to the UK and anyone seeking to travel at there own expense from any destination halfway down route will have to seek permission from someone fairly high up in PJHQ before they can do this. We will get them home and it is only a very small number of flights that are delayed. It is unfortunate that the few that are delayed, garner so much negative publicity.

As previously mentioned this isn't the place to air our dirty laundry and if you do experience a problem on a flight or at any of the airheads ensure that it is included in the Passenger Reporting Officers report. If you don't then it is never going to show any trends or create any change