PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why no helo transport? Are we condemning our diggers to an easy victimology?
Old 24th Aug 2010, 22:59
Trojan1981

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree with nearly everything you say, Hydraulic Palm-tree.

The Shadow, I respect your experience and have nothing to say about Vietnam or its relevence. HPT has some good points however, I wont repeat them, but everything he has said so far about operating helos in the 'ghan is true. The Bushmaster is an excellent peice of equipment. It pains me to say that because I hate riding in armour, it feels like a coffin and the idea of being in one when an IED goes off nearby scares the crap out of me. That said, they work well. Most of the Aussie casualties were outside the vehicle when the device activated, while those inside have survived.

Remember, it is a basic premise of warfare that a force most occupy and hold ground. This has never been more important than in Afghanistan. The TB are not an enemy who are intimidated easily and airbourne direct fire support can only achieve so much. One stray bullet can make enemies of an entire village.
Food for thought, the Russians killed more than 2 million Afghans and still lost.