PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - You saved my life, Skydive Nagambie Caravan crash
Old 24th Aug 2010, 16:07
Biggles78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I flew a Cherokee 6 in NZ early 80s and NEVER flew jumpers without wearing a rig. I believe it was compulsary and jump ops required a CPL. Unfortuantely it was a 22' round and I was told I would probaly break both legs in landing (I needed to lose a few kilos). A 24' would have been more appropriate. I had estimated I would need 5,500' to get out if anything when wrong. Was also told NO freefall, just a Hop & Pop.

In 1987, Pakenham Victoria, (I couldn't believe the number of flies that place had) early January, a 206 at 4,500' lost the elevator when a canopy deployed a tad early. The pilot got out and was timed under canopy by someone on the ground. It was estimated he got out and opened at about 400'!!! (He was given a First Jump Certificate and promtly grounded for opening too low).

The rig I was given to wear had no chest strap so if I had to egress headfirst then I would have fallen straight out of the bloody thing. Did lots of self briefing to get around that. (This rig was NOT provided by the same operation that was operating the 206). I flew the 205 from that location and almost wheelbarrowed my first landing when I ran out of elevator authority. Not a particularly nice surprise.

Flying jumpers was fun and I can't wait to get back to it again sometime.