PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2010, 15:53
hawker750

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think lambourne has a very valid point, albeit I do not think his prestentation of it does him any credit whatsoever.
1 am 62 and I agree whole heartally with no 2 over 60's in the cockpit together, regardless of experience or how many marathons we can run. We have the experience but no longer the stamina for long nights. The rule in Europe for Public Transport is this, is it the same in the States?
For many years the G111 crash at Houston has been used by my company for CRM (or rather the lack of it) training. This crash was a pure CRM issue. I have noticed as a check pilot that older pilots can sometimes dump CRM and tunnel vision when a confusing scenarios occurs. The other CRM issue highlighted by this crash is the unsafe practice of crewing 2 Captains together or even worse a Captain and the Chief Pilot. The safest crew is a Captain (MAX 65) and an experienced, polite and competent F/O (pref under 40). I say competent because I have flown with a few who are not, whether it be ability, attitude or both.
Lambourne very rudely points out the limitations of older Captains, I think we should remind him of some of the worse habits that we older ones have had to put up with.
The worst one for me was the steely young thing that thought doing a cross wind landing involved using into wind rudder and downwind aileron. Wow, that was fun during the resultant go-around.When quizzed the answer was "I can never remember which way it is"!
Lambourne, I think it is time to wind your neck in and get on with whatever job you have and perform in the cockpit in a professional CRM manner. From your rants here I am not sure you are capable of doing that. But as far as 70 as the age for pro pilots is concerned I am with you. If they want to stay flying to pay for the 4th wife and kids let them be 20,000 ft plus relief pilots, not the guy punching the buttons in the busy TMA