PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can you reclaim the VAT and/or tax on training costs?
Old 24th Aug 2010, 13:19
Pandalet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you trust someone who's only connection to aviation was that he flew model helicopters to take your children flying? Of course not (I hope)! So why would you trust a bunch of people who (mostly) have no professional accounting experience to give you clear, unambiguous tax advice? If you want professional advice, pay a professional!

Ultimately, tax and taxation is not a black-and-white, simple thing. It's complicated by precedents and there is always some subjectivity. What worked for someone else may or may not work for you. The best you can do is make sure you understand the rules, do your best to play within those rules, and be prepared to defend your actions after the fact. I would suggest that given the amounts involved, the cost of some professional advice (which will take into account your specific resources and needs) is negligable. A better question to ask here might be, "can anyone recommend a decent accountant who can help with this?"

I applaud your go-getting attitude; finding the costs of helicopter training is massively difficult, especially if you don't have a first career to use as a step-up. However, the question you are asking has several complicated answers, and trying to find a way around this might find you investing more time, effort, and money than you might otherwise have done in the first place, had you accepted the complexity and worked with that.