PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Confused and frustrated
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2010, 13:17
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O dear. Very very dear. N5296S is quite correct, in the US of A gliding IS VERY EXPENSIVE. Thats because it is usually a privately owned operation trying to make money.

As opposed to the UK and Ireland where it is usually a club run for the benefit of the members. So over here, it is relatively cheap.

I have no idea what flying a power plane costs these days, at a guess, more than £90 ph? That will eat up your savings, all right.

On the other hand, if you have a trial lesson at Shenington (my club) it will cost you £40. For a winch launch. INCLUDING THREE MONTHS MEMBERSHIP!
Now that three month membership means that when you turn up again,you are expected to help out along with everyone else, and pay £7 for a winch launch. The instructor is doing it for love. So you really can afford a lot of takeoffs and landings, no worry that you can't go around, we don't usually mess up our landings.

As I surmised, Mighty Ducks would like to go for the commercial license, no harm in that. And to achieve the commercial license will be a source of great pride and satisfaction. So good luck with your plans.