PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which qualifications for a job in Safety?
Old 24th Aug 2010, 11:19
PBL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One interesting phenomenon may be seen in Burr Styer's post , namely that none of the qualifications specify any feature that directly has to do with safety. Imagine a job posting for a pilot which didn't actually specify you had to have demonstrated you can fly a plane!

Contrary to the impression this may leave, there is a corpus underlying studies of safety. The University of York Continuing Professional Development courses (Master's and Certificate) run through the Computer Science Department, have an on-line syllabus which indicates what they think this corpus consists in, and it's not bad. (Rob Weaver, who looks after safety management at AirServices Australia, used to work at York.) As others have mentioned, Cranfield and City are places worth looking at also.

It seems to me that, with your one, soon to be two, B.A.'s (or B.Sc.'s), including one in IT, a short program, such as a Master's-by-study or some Certificate (such as that at York), would be a worthwhile addition.

I don't specifically know about opportunities to study safety (technical safety rather than the OHS variety) at the CPD level in Australia, but I can ask if info is desired.

PBL