PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mixed standards.... Actions lie louder than words.
Old 24th Aug 2010, 07:23
FLEXPWR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double standards? Cause?

fdr,

I am a european citizen who grew up in central africa. I have worked in the aviation industry for many years in Gabon, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Congo, South Africa, and others.

I started as a pilot in Africa with an FAA license, which is still current. I still fly today, big jets, nice money, JAA license, and what you might call "single standard". Yet double standards are everywhere.

I think your concerns about what the FAA is doing and how to handle the "double standards" in Africa, are misplaced and out of context. You have to understand the reality of living in these countries, both from a cultural and practical perpectives.

I do not understand the insistance you have about the FAA and Gabon, operators in Indonesia have shown over the years their standards are not just double, and other places too.

The FAA could not give a monkey if a FAA aircraft/crew was operating with or without AOC, license, etc, outside the USA. These aircraft are not operated by an american AOC holder, so what's your whole point here? I understand it is not always the "proper" way of doing business, but the National Civil Aviation Authority of where the airline is basing itslf is responsible for their operators, not the FAA.

I can see a similarity with criminals: do you think an american citizen killing or raping in Thailand would be tracked by the FBI or American Police? He's an aerican citizen, no? with an american passport, probably an american address and work, or business. It is the nation where the facts have taken place that is in charge of regulating what happens in their own country.

The result is that some will take advantage of these third world countries to set up quick/cheap businesses, and make a quick buck. The lack of enforced regulations and a small bribe will get you a long way in Africa, but it is not the only place.

Like Downin3greens said, you don't have to be there or go there, if you don't like it you can look elsewhere. The "white knights" in shining armor don't last very long in Africa anyway, an there is usually sooner than later something of a reality check around the corner. Don't get hyped up with this. You are not on a righteous mission, if you are already in Africa, well, enjoy the sunset, the camaraderie, the hot and humid evenings with a cool beer on the terrace, take in the experience for what it is, accept that not everyone is as perfect as you are.

If you have not been to Africa yet...don't go there.

Flex