PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots of Australia - time to unite - Meeting Aug 23
Old 24th Aug 2010, 05:23
Counter-rotation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inspired by the breakfastburrito!! (And others...)

Well said bb

Ladies & gentlemen, the ball is now in your court
I have written a bit of an email here, feel free to use it as a bit of a template (in fact, that's the idea)... Now, I never professed to be a "Roads Skolar" so I'm hoping that those out there who are more eloquent than I (ahem, Sherm - are you there? ) will use it as a start, to write something which could perhaps be sent en masse from members, to their respective industrial representative body.

Perhaps I am naive, but I would hate to see all this unity (that has been so lacking in the past), miss it's full potential!!

Cheers,
CR

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good afternoon xxxx,

I'm sure when I refer to the recent "meeting", you will be in no doubt as to what I am referring to! I am sending this email to you, as Manager, Industrial Relations, at xxxx, to make clear my sentiments with respect to these developments, as a(n) xxxx member.

Specifically,

1) Whilst unable to attend the meeting, I wish to express my full support for the sentiments of those who attended. [maybe -]I am at present not directly affected, however proposals to create crewing structures allowing "off-shoring" concern me tremendously.
2) Assuming that xxxx had representatives present, I would as a member, request a formal account of the discussions in general, and any motions proposed and carried.
3) I would expect to see xxxx using every means possible, to raise public awareness of the behaviour of this employer, in attempting to use smoke and mirrors to move Australian jobs, under Australian IR laws, offshore - for the sole reason of obtaining the labour cheaper than they presently can. This should be coupled with strong comment on the obvious safety implications of making these positions untenable to experienced, well-trained Australian pilots.

[maybe - AFAP have sent some out, refer to earlier comment in this thread]
I understand, and am pleased to see, that several letters and submissions to this effect have already been sent. They need to be vigourously followed up.

Generally,

I would like to express my delight in the show of unity at St George Rowing Club!

Some of those pilots attending were xxxx members, some were not, and they were from a range of different employers, which could have perhaps in the past seen them considered as rivals, or adversaries, to some extent. They have come together, to present a united front, in the face of very worrying developments, and further proposals, by management at certain employers.

I would like to ask, that just as these pilots have done, xxxx remains focused on the future in this issue, and as such can work as closely as possible with yyyy, zzzz, and any other industry bodies who's members also have a great stake in the outcome. I expect this as a member, and believe that many other members feel the same.

Please note, I would ask exactly the same of those other industrial bodies, however I am not a member there. I sincerely hope that their own members echo these same sentiments, in turn, to their management.

Sincerely,
[insert name ]