PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR approaches into private sites? (UK)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 22:42
rotorspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Returning to the thread topic, I wonder just what the facts are ref accidents on IFR let downs to private sites - that were attributable to the approach not being an approved precision/non precision approach but a GPS one?

Seems to me the Irish S76 accident was really not the fault of a GPS approach - it was more about pilots simply not performing the approach they intended, accurately. Similar to just getting too low on an ILS and hitting the ground, for example. Interestingly this S76 accident throws up a hazard of two crew ops - here both rather assumed the other knew what he was doing without enough questioning.

Moving on to the other UK accident mentioned, with owner Philip Carter near Peterborough in an AS355F2, this was again not a consequence of hitting the ground from inaccurate GPS position or hitting unforseen obstacles. It was either from excessive descent in IMC to no limit or within 100ft or so AGL, or more likely I suspect descent to too poor VMC night conditions and then loss of control effectively through then entering IMC at low level and speed whilst transiting the mile to the destination.

So, what examples in the UK have there been of accidents into private sites as a direct consequence of an unapproved IFR let downs?