PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Farnborough 1978: List of Aircraft on Display.
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 11:06
Double Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've not heard of a conventional aircraft using a Harrier ramp, suspect it might be too steep without being semi-jetborne with nozzles roughly about 45 degrees down; though of course some forces - ie Russians - use I think shallower ramps instead of a catapult for Mig29M's etc.

The length of take-off run has to be carefully calculated with the particular aircraft's load taken into account ( there are painted marks on the CVS decks for this ) , too short and there's not enough ballistic energy, too long and there's the risk of breaking a nose leg with ensuing catasrophe, so one does not simply stroll out to a Mig etc and open the throttles !

In case it's of interest, that particular Sea Harrier, XZ450, was not only the first to fly, it was the first shot down - by AAA - in the Falklands War, pilot Lt.Nick Taylor lost his life in a low level attack on Goose Green.

The only good thing to come out of it, as I was told, was that as this was a Dunsfold development aircraft with instrumentation wiring for the upcoming Sea Eagle anti-ship missile, - a better more intelligent answer to the Exocet, also 'sea skimming' - the Argentinians found the missile control panel in the wreckage.

So the Argentinians thought the weapon was already in service - a further deterrent to their ships coming out, if one was needed beyond the threat of our submarines.

If interested in this, I'd recommend the books 'One Hundred Days' by Sandy Woodward ( not very air-minded but a good insight ) & 'The Secret War For The Falklands' by Nigel Ward.

Last edited by Double Zero; 23rd Aug 2010 at 13:26.