PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RUMOUR - NZ Loan-funded Training to be slashed...
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 10:05
nzheliwhore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the student loan thing needs to stop now in NZ. I was recently there and was very shocked at how slow the industry is in NZ, yet the flying schools are churning them out really quickly. Some of the guys are absolute muppets and would never have got into the industry if it were not for the loan scheme. The company I fly for will not hire a student loan pilot. If they will not invest their own money in there career then why should we?. There are plenty of other pilots out there who have made sacraficies. Also there has been a number of pilots who have got employment and have let their emp[loyer down after he has spent huge money on them for training.
A new trick we do now, is find a prospective employees facebook page. I have seen some facebook pages that show heavy drinking parties and even car crashes. Sorry no expensive toys for pilots with that type of life.

If they put there own money into it, them they have a personal heavy investment. There is NO pilot shortage at present. Judgeing by the CV's we get weekly, there are some very good guys out there worldwide. The flying schools in NZ are taking money on false pretenses, it is criminal really. I saying that these young pilotsa have no appreciation of debt, for a 20 year old to be $80 K in debt is criminal.

My wife is in early childhood education. When we lived in NZ it was really hard getting money from the government for young children learning. yet they gave a absolute dick head a Hughes 500 endorsement and the guy is unemployable. Where is the logic. Australians can come in and get a loan then go back to aussie never repay a cent cos the government hasnt the balls to enforse it. Many honest tax payers are obviously not aware of the extent of rip off out there.

Yes I am a kiwi, CPL fixed wing and rotor living and working out of NZ. I am a kiwi and proud of it and would love to go home and fly in my own country. I paid for my training working as a shearer and paua diver in the late 70's early 80's. I recently helped a young low houred guy recently into his first job. he was self funded australian who did the hard yards and deserved a break, I would not extend the same courtesy to a kiwi student loan pilot.

Again stop the loans, NZ needs no more pilots there are plenty there now many will never keep current so will drop off the way side. But there debt will never leave. The industry can start training there own pilots if the need should come and taking there own risks, rather than tax payer money going to guys who will not even pay for the flying to keep themselves current and are unemployable.

Also I have noticed the standard of training going backward real fast. This year pilots trained by last year students, there is no depth to training and no mentors for professionalism. I could go on, but have probably bored you all enough now.

NZH