PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2010, 09:10
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baston,

You are right and I believe that most independent observers would agree with you that pilot error was a possibility. But I think the important word in meadowbank's post was "if" - that is, a technical falfunction was also, almost certainly, possible - especially given the design state of the aircraft. We should remember that

'no evidence of failure does not mean evidence of no failure'
(as any accident investigator will confirm).

Sadly, however, we will never truly know what happened between take-off and WP change or WP change and impact.

Either way, therefore, a mountain of doubt exists, so the Day/Wratten 'verdict' is simply untenable in law (civil or military) - as I'm very sure Lord Phillip will discover.

Furthermore, the more I discover about the attainment of the military RTS of this machine, the more I am convinced that any negligence or dereliction of duty occured in late 1993, in the higher-level corridors of Main Bldg, High Wycombe and possibly MoD PE.

I ask you; how would you feel, as a commander (with responsibility for your crew and passengers) if you were routinely tasked to fly an aircraft that Boscombe Down had described as 'positively dangerous', which had not undergone full EMC testing and had a troubled recent history of flight-control, engine and navigation system problems, where most of the latter two had no clearances for in-flight or IMC use anyway?

The FACT that the HC2 did in no way meet the regulatory requirements to attain airworthiness is in black and white - this is can be proven with no doubt whatsoever. Whether Lord Phillip dares to go there is another matter of course.

Sycamore

I think you will find some timing details in the BoI main report, including a passing reference to 'difficulties' between the Strathclyde Police and the MRT about primacy over the crash site (clarification of which is a lesson that is oft repeated at Flight Safety Officers' and Post-Crash Incient Commanders' courses). Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the BoI report with me at the moment, so perhaps someone could oblige and send sycamore a copy? However, most details will be included in the BoI's vast amount of supporting files and records - which after a number of FOI requests, the MoD claim to have lost!!! Does anyone really believe that?

flipster

ps I agree that it was a refreshingly lucid, accurate and thought-provoking article in the Argyll paper - well done!

Last edited by flipster; 23rd Aug 2010 at 09:42.