PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - National PPL intructors
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2001, 01:22
JimNich

lazy fairweather PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

CP

I know where you're coming from and on this subject I have some VERY ambivalent feelings.
On the one hand I agree that it would be great to have extra-terrestrial standards for entry instructors and PPLs. Life in this world would be safe and full of competent and aware pilots. No one in aviation would argue against that.

However, however, however. I had it hammered home what a poor state GA in this country is in after my CPL course in the States. I can only imagine that how it is out there is how it used to be here in the Sixties and Seventies (loads of GA aircraft and airfields for them to go to and fly from).
The American approach to aviation is a whole lot more pragmatic than ours, they just don't see it as such an Olympian pursuit. To be sure their Government is a lot more lenient toward flying as an activity (just compare fees) and being such a big country flying is a must for a lot of people.
Anyway, my point is that our perception of what is an acceptable standard for someone to be an instructor (imho) is based more on snobbery and proffessional jingoism than practicalities.
Apart from flying I'm an instructor in two other disciplines as well (see profile) and its no different there either, people endlessly whinging about the low standard of entry tutors or intructors ("...but he just doesn't have any experience!). As I said, everyone has to start somewhere.