PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why no helo transport? Are we condemning our diggers to an easy victimology?
Old 22nd Aug 2010, 16:14
barnstormer1968

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I possibly understand where Shadow is coming from, and broadly agree with some of his sentiment too.

The bit where he lets himself down is suggesting the enemy here are unsophisticated. IMHO they are doing pretty well, bearing in mind they have no CAS, no AT, no helos, no artillery, no secure (modern) radio net, no full coverage AD systems, plus they often have very old equipment too.

Even given all of the above, they regularly take us on and do fairly well from it!

Yes we do need to keep boots on the ground, that is true, but I think Shadow was suggesting we fly troops from one village to another (the downside being that troops will already have to be in each village to assure its LZ), so that boots can be on the ground, but only where the populous are.

That is how I read it.

I also know a convoy is easier in some ways to attack than a foot patrol, but then it is easier for them to have grenade launchers, or HMG's to retaliate with, as well as their own organic IED sensors.

I do actually think they are many very sound lessons to be learned from Vietnam, and many of the tactics used there are still effective today (surprisingly effective too). Some are obvious to an armchair general like me, but I do wonder just how many active generals are picking up on mistakes made, and the use they can be to the enemy.

Oh, I am talking of lessons learned (and used) by the VC, not the Americans BTW.