PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Female Helicopter pilots.....
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2010, 12:46
graculus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

So much fascination with lady pilots. Is that because there are 33 million more males than females in the world and somebody's feeling rather frustrated Maybe some of the posters here should move to some of the former countries of the USSR, such as Latvia, where there are 1.19 females per male, rather than sounding as if they come from UAE where there are 2.14 males per female .

There are, thankfully more ladies joining the helicopter flying fraternity and some have been members for very many years. Let's face it, one of the world's largest helicopter companies CHC has a lady as President of its International division - ok, ok, she's not a pilot. Perhaps they're more liberated in the Scandinavian countries such as Norway where both CHC and Bristow have ladies as their training managers. There have been ladies on the North Sea flying offshore for many years with the likes of Wendy Winnard,Mo Jones and several others as early pioneers.

There are several lady helicopter pilots now flying in Nigeria. Wale Mak must be very proud of his daughter who is a pilot for Aero and PAAN has the Chloe and husband team in Escravos, with Tanya on the 332, and Meg and Bimbo on the S76. I won't demean their professional status by mentioning their looks - their professionalism says all that needs to be said about them.

Our female helicopter pilots are special - many of them have had to struggle harder than men to get into the business, have had to overcome (and still do) a huge amount of prejudice to have got to where they are and yet are still judged too often by their looks than their abilities. I salute you all, may your numbers grow such that one day you'll be the ones asking not, "is he a good pilot", but "has he got a cute butt" or "I'll bet he's got a great six-pack"