PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Group A330 Changes
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2010, 07:54
Going Boeing

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you able to validate that the customers in J/P are actually commercial fare customers?
From my own experience flying that route and from the LAX & JFK Airport Managers - the JFK Airport Manager didn't want the change in aircraft type but her superiors said that "it was going to save millions".

I am not sure Premium Economy is a 'premium traffic' cabin.
QF Commercial certainly considers them to be 'premium traffic'.

If freight is so lucrative and QF has no restrictions on freight carriage, then why did QF switch to a 330?
Boston Consulting Group is looking at every aspect of the Qantas operation trying to find ways to reduce costs - this was their idea but as is usual when people look only at the accounting figures, they come unstuck on operational matters (eg the ATI B767 Freighter operating across the Tasman - BCG didn't understand ETOPS requirements & that aircraft only has 60 mins single engine approval).

The other aspect of the A330 JFK ops is how many pax have we lost to the opposition on the AKL-LAX-AKL sectors? The B744 (2 class with 412 seats) had high average load factors on the route and now we operate the route with an aircraft with only 60% of the capacity.