PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots of Australia - time to unite - Meeting Aug 23
Old 22nd Aug 2010, 07:48
Mr. Hat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give and take.

Pilots are happy to give as much as they possibly can. However, when the take gets out of control "annoying industrial tactics" are used as an absolute last ditch resort. In fact its the first time I've ever heard anyone in the Jetstar ranks doing anything of the sort. I suggest that they are a particularly tolerant and professional bunch. The fact that it has come to this indicates to me that they really have been pushed beyond their limit. In reading their EBA I have to say that limit is pretty far enough already.

Goodwill in the Australian workforce has become so common that its now the norm. People work countless free hours and do the extra bit to get the company over the line every week of every year. I'm one of these people. I strive everyday to achieve the highest standard for customers and company always. I pride myself on this as do my colleagues.

What we ask for in return is a modicum of respect and to at least maintain a standard of living. We're not asking for lavish lifestyles. We all understand globalisation and cost cutting within reason. We all support efficient operations. What we don't and won't support is:

1. Corner cutting on safety related issues
2. Industrial trickery and belligerence
3. Constant word games within our agreed EBA
4. Going only backwards always

I've seen first hand what an annoyed pilot group can do to the bottom line. It is really shocking. You save $1 by doing this he flushes $20,000 by doing that. Multiply that over 300 flights a day and all the penny pinching in the world will not save you.

Employers that strike the balance in the end will be the ones announcing the profits. They will attract and retain experienced staff and they will have happy satisfied customers that will return again and again. On this basis the brand is built into a reliable Australian staple.

At the end of the day if it gets through, and I suspect it will, Emirates will find the solution to their recruitment problem. You think you got OTP problems now. Gee whiz just wait till 20-30 pilots leave per month.

Every time a 10,000 hr guy/gal withdraws their services from the experience pool the company gets one step closer to that line which if crossed will close up the whole turn out.

Wake up Australia.