PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilots of Australia - time to unite - Meeting Aug 23
Old 22nd Aug 2010, 06:51
404 Titan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
blow.n.gasket

Don’t get me wrong because I am very much on the side of you guys when it comes to what J* etc are doing to you but let me try and clear up one thing regarding tax issues in Australia. First the answer to whether you pay tax in Australia lies in the first sentence of the ATO explanation of the changes. That being:
In the 2009-10 Federal Budget, the government announced changes to the exemption rules for foreign employment income derived by Australian residents who are engaged in foreign service for a continuous period of 91 days or more.
You can be a citizen of Australia but at the same time be a non-resident for tax purposes. If you meet the requirements for non-residency by the ATO you will be classed as a non-resident for tax purposes. All the details can be found here:

Determination of residency status – leaving Australia

What is up in the air is how the ATO will treat Australians flying Australian registered aircraft but based in Singapore. If memory serves me correctly QF were going to do this a few years ago with SO's and it opened a mine field.