PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fire Pilots
Thread: Fire Pilots
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2010, 06:30
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
Hooker....

As far as mountain time goes, the FAA has designated certain parts of the US (and world) as officially mountainous which can be logged as such. There is a convenient chart in the AIM (Figure 5-6-2 as of 2009 edition).
The FAA definition of mountain time is for the purpose of IFR separation from mountains etc....has NOTHING to do with logging mountain time...the two are completely different. See my note above....

The FAA has nothing to do with fire flying... there is no accredited school, and to be honest...There is "school" in Montana that will teach you to fly fires, but not sure how well it will do...I find it hard to believe that you could learn it from a school. I am in a position where I hire pilots for fire contracts....it would not influence my decision if you went to the school or not.... Cannot beat on the job training under supervision....Prescribed fire contracts are the best way to learn fire behavior.

Will try to answer you specific questions in due course..... currently working a fire in Wyoming...and need rest.....