PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Group A330 Changes
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2010, 05:37
Going Boeing

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I am not sure what the difference is between a 744 Skybed and a 330 Skybed that would raise a 'premium' pax concern. In particular the fact that J class and even P class is so poorly represented on that route and in particular, made up primarily of FF's and staff...
T-Vasis, the premium loads of commercial pax on the LAX-JFK-LAX sectors was very high in the first half of the year (ie prior to the A332 being substituted) and it is this genuine business traffic that is upset at being shoe-horned onto an A332 which doesn't have First & Premium Economy cabins and the Business cabin which is a lot smaller. Also, there is a lot of freight that is not able to be carried due to the volumetric limits of the A332 hold - freight on that route is lucrative due to the low numbers of wide-body aircraft operating across the US.

Last I heard the "Legacy" carrier owned Jet*...
TBM, the thing that pisses mainline staff off is the creative accounting (& lack of transparency) that senior Qantas Group executives use to make it look like Jetstar has lower costs per seat kilometre than its rivals. It certainly would make interesting reading to find out how Jetstars DOC's are dealt with in the "Groups accounts".

Wrt future A332 deliveries (the higher gross weight aircraft), they do not appear on the list of A330 deliveries on the QF Flight Crew website which would indicate that they are not planned to have Oz registrations. Previously, Jetstar management indicated that Jetstar Asia would be getting 2 A332's but I believe that they will be getting all 5 HGW versions which will enable them to operate the ATH & FCO routes as well as NRT etc.