PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fire Pilots
Thread: Fire Pilots
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2010, 03:05
Gordy

Received 50 Likes on 15 Posts
We fiar pie-lits caant speel.....Ya weel fit rite in....

Here are the requirements along with references:

A type II CWN contract can be downloaded here:

CWN contract

Even though this is a Type II contract, the pilot requirements are the same for all contracts. (I was unable to find any other contracts on-line). Go to page 30 in the document, (will be 51 of 135 in pdf format), to Section D—Pilot Requirements Experience and it shows the requirements in detail. This is a basic summary, read the document for ALL the correct info. All times are helicopter:

Total Time: 1,500
PIC 1,500
Preceding 12 months 100
Weight class 100
Make & Model 50
Turbine 100
Mountain 200 (more to follow)
Mountain Make & model 10
Long line VR 10

Bear in mind that you do NOT need all these requirements to get carded. For example, in region 8, they do not require long line. I did a check ride with an AMD inspector there and he was not able to sign my card for Long Line as he did not have any. There are also other qualifications on a pilot card that require further training and hours requirements—fixed float, PSD, helitorch, ACETA, and rappel for example.

Mountain Time

The USFS defines Mountain Time as “operating helicopters in mountainous terrain identified in 14CFR 95 subpart B-Designated Mountainous Area. Operating includes maneuvering and numerous takeoffs and landings to pinnacles, ridgelines and confined areas.”

AMD has a slightly different definition. As with most things it is difficult to nail anyone down with this in writing. I did find it hidden away in OPM No. 06-54, (see section 7. H on page 3):

OPM 06-54

“Mountainous terrain experience is defined as: Experience in maneuvering a helicopter at more than 7,000 feet mean sea level (MSL) altitude including numerous takeoffs and landings in situations indicative to mountainous terrain. This terrain consists of abrupt, rapidly rising terrain resulting in a high land mass projecting above its surroundings, wherein complex structures in which folding, faulting, and igneous activity have taken place. These mountainous areas produce vertical mountain winds and turbulence associated with mountain waves, producing abrupt changes in wind direction often resulting in upflowing or downflowing air currents.”

As for whether you should take a long line course—as one who is in a position to hire pilots for fire contracts, I would say yes. Minimum hours for carding, and minimum hours to get hired are two different things. The company I work for is generally looking for a minimum of 5,000 hours to get hired. Your 10 hours of long line training “may” help. If nothing else it will show that you have at the very least been exposed to a different way of flying. It will help with your general airmanship and control of the aircraft. (As a side note—I went inadvertent IMC many years ago—I was low level, and stuck my head out the door and was able to see the ground and fly back into VMC by utilizing VR techniques). Also, once you reach that point where you are looking to get hired by a utility company, they may be able to train you to long line quicker than someone with no hours.

Hope this helps.

The rules recently changed--pilots are now REQUIRED to complete inter-agency training prior to being carded. These courses are here:

H1--Basic Fire Behaviour and Tactics

H2--Organisation, communication and airspace

H3--Fire Helicopter Operations

A110--Aviation Transport of Hazardous Materials

Read these, they may help you:

Professional Helicopter Pilot Guide

Inter-agency PTS

Inter-agency Aviation User Pocket Guide

If you really want it--the IHOG

There are more---but these are the basics.