PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Age 70 for international pilots?
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2010, 21:52
WhatsaLizad?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lambourne,

What most don't realize is the slide that begins with everybody that they have no control over. I beleive most also don't realize the signs as they are subtle and isidious.

I'm currently in the left seat with a major US carrier and frankly haven't seen the problems I saw with the RHS as I saw for years flying with guys in the LHS. I did see one however. Late 50's FO who was noticably slower than every FO I've ever flown with, including judgement.

I also have flown with many in their late 50's who were Captains at my airline before the law changed. Many were in great shape mentally and physically, some like 20 year olds. Others had only one attribute, mental or physical that was in good shape. One was a age 60+ gadfly who railed against the law that didn't change before he was retired. He ran marathons, and ran the distance of two of them home from the airport in two days after his retirement flight to make a point. his mind and judgement was going to mush for the last couple of years, and was a threat to safety. Problem was, when he was reported, he might have to take a simulator check at 10:00 am and do a great job for 2 hours. He might even fly with a Check Airman after a complaint. He might suck it up and do a good job on that flight. On the 3rd day of the next trip on long day, his brain was back to mush.

I also had experience flying with more than a few 60+ guys in business jets. Same experience. a few did good, probably will remain sharp until 90. Most started the slide. The biggest problem was with fatigue. Most would do fine with a middle of the day sim check or evaluation, but after several legs after 13 hours at 3 am, most became worthless. Only one of them had the sense to look at me and say, "I'm not 25 anymore, this snowy night NDB approach into a short runway is too much, do you mind flying it?" Fine with me, the crew was now on the same page.

Others thought they were Bob Hoover because he was the same age. I still can't explain why I am alive today writing this because of one 63 year old that thought he was ok, just as I read from many of the posters here. I've flown with enough to get a good enough statistical sample for me and is now an issued if I'm faced with putting my family onboard.

When I read the Houston GII crash, I shook my head. I'd been there cleaning up the mess of some goat at 4 am after we got 2 hours of sleep. In that crash, both were in advanced years. If any of you don't think that was a possible major factor in the accident, you are delusional.I'm not against flying past age 60 for financial or upgrade reasons. that
argument doesn't have a leg to stand on. I'm against it for safety reasons.

As of today, there isn't a single check in place to counter the slide with age until it's well beyond safe. Checkrides and medical checks don't cut it and can be fooled by someone having a good day and then it's months off flying thousands of people.

good day