PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fire Pilots
Thread: Fire Pilots
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2010, 20:23
MasonKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fire Pilots

OK, I would like to ask a legit question without most of the flaming that seems to occur when these sorta questions arise.
If one was to want to get into the firefighting aspect of this industry how would you go about it? I.E. if you wanted to sit SIC what are the hour requirements, and what would be the best way of going about trying to get your foot in the door of such a hard field to break into.

Also, to sit as PIC what would you want to have on a resumé, for instance, long line, type rating, hour requirements ect.

Lastly, to get carded. What does the check ride consist of? From what I have found out on my own, and the pilots I have talked to the common consensus is that it is one of the most intense check rides that you can do. Would you want to have this before you apply to a job, or is it something the company will do after you are hired?

I wholeheartedly hope there are no grammatical errors in this question, for I know that most of the responses will be about how "you can't even spell so why are you trying" but I would like to know what I need to start doing to tailor my experience so I am working toward a goal, not just building hours. Now I know that I have to build hours, but if I am doing it, I would like to do it in a manner that is beneficial to my end goal, not just a counter weight.

Thanks