PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Battle of Britain History - but not as we know it.....
Old 21st Aug 2010, 17:05
Barbara S.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angel BofB history etc

Sir George:
There were many Wrens at Bletchley Park billeted on the Duke of Bedford's estate. I had no contact with them, however, but I have photos of them working on Colossus, the first computer ever built (1943) to cope with breaking the German High Command high grade cypher.

Our Senior Service, the Royal Navy, was the only service not to discriminate against women. They were the "Womens Royal Navy Service" --- WRNS, known as Wrens. The RAF called us WAAF, "Womens Auxliary Air Force", (changed post war to WRAF by Duncan Sandys Parliamentry Act), and the poor Army gals were ATS, "Auxiliary Territorial Service". (I hope I've remembered that "A" correctly).

There was a naughty joke going around the other services at that time, at the expense of the WRNS. Here it is, and I hope you're not insulted because of your mother having been a Wren. "One cold January morning, two Wrens went into the sea for a dip, and four blue tits came out." Perhaps you've already heard it?

TTFN......BS