PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF on Radio 4 Now
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2010, 15:33
Pheasant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NUF,

Alternatively: Jermy again made the point that we need to be equipped to fight the last conflict and give little thought to future ones.
I don't think so. I am sure the point he was making was that all operations since WW2 that have involved air-air combat have been expeditionary in nature and have used the aircraft carrier. It happened that the offensive air came from those carriers and aircraft were shot down.

As a generalisation, for truly effective expeditionary operations that require political freedom for the longest period of time, carrier bourne offensive air is needed. The UK knew that until the RAF saw themselves threatened by it in the '60s, and the US, FR, USSR (now Russia), India, China, Spain, Italy etc know it now.

Who flies such capability is up to the MoD and politicians, but for it to be a capability I suspect the RN have to be involved somewhere (as it is not just about fighter pilots in the cockpit) - I personally think the RAF need to be involved too if it is to be a truly flexible capability.