PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight training on B1/B2 Visa
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2010, 11:26
B2N2

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
8 CFR � 214.2(f)(6). Students who do not meet these hourly requirements do not qualify for an M-1 or F-1 visa. However, they can be admitted under a B-1/B-2 visa if the inspector determines that their course of study is incidental to their primary purpose of pleasure or for a business related purpose
This paragraph does not apply to murray, he is already in the country and flight training does meet the hourly requirements since it is a full course of study for three weeks.

If I can refer to the sticky about SEVIS and M 1visa's for a moment:

NO flight training under Category 1, 2, or 3 (49 CFR 1552.3) should be conducted for ANY alien who has entered the U.S. in B-1 or B-2 (visitor's) status. It is a violation of the status under which the non-immigrant visitor entered the U.S.

A change of status to M-1 or F-1 is permitted once the candidate has entered the US, only if the candidate applies prior to enrolling in and attending a flight-training course.

Only FAA Certificated Part 141 and/or 142 schools approved and participating in SEVIS program are authorized to issue an I-20 form to a prospective student upon enrollment into a course; the prospective student must request the change of status and receive the subsequent Student Visa.
So you need to request a change of status.
Here is your problem murray; if you change your status to M-1 are you still allowed to work on the vessel that currently employs you?
A M-1 visa does not allow work, so I don't think so.
It is my interpretation at least that you can do one or the other, not both.
So B1>M1>B1.

But I am not a visa attorney so make an appointment with the INS in Miami and have them figure it out.