PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RUMOUR - NZ Loan-funded Training to be slashed...
Old 21st Aug 2010, 04:18
Sqwark2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately I'm not partial to the idea of having my tax dollars pay for student loans to keep recent grads in work instructing new students.

As much as I want to see the aviation industry prosper, I also don't want it to drown with over supply of pilots, which in turn leads to degradation of terms & conditions, which will make the industry an undesirable career path.

It's part of the industry to go through the peaks and troughs of employment cycles. At the moment there is little demand for pilots yet hundreds are still under training to get a job that another couple of hundred are waiting for since they finished their training.

I support a a variable cap on student loan funded flight training in sync with industry demand.

Currently there are hundreds in training for an industry that has had fewer than 50 movements a year for the past couple of years. That's including the pseudo hiring increase due self funded career enhancements.

Maybe a hold on loans for a year or two will allow those already trained to be soaked into the system.

Of course those that are determined will and can fund their own way through, like we had to do in the old days.....

S2K