PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Display 'C*ck Ups'
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2010, 23:55
gopher01

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Abingdon displays

Also at Abingdon for the S 3 debacle and in fact towed it back to the shed for the US Navy to check it out and on the test flight he managed to blow two tyres. When presented with a nicely mounted piece of the fence from the shippon road on his departure back to the boat the driver was not impressed but the rest of the navy thought it a great move.
The display weekend could always produce some thing good such as the year the Tonka toy came across from Germany to do a static along with the squadron CO. On departing on the friday at tea time to transit back to the FRG as I was sitting in my quarter I heard the familiar sound of a Tornado departing, I had spent a tour on 16 at Laarbruch before Abingdon, followed by the also familiar sound of a double surge followed by a lot of silence! The Tornado bounced in a field one side of the didcot road, bounced over the road and slid along the field the other side, There were a rather muddy load of Rover courtesy cars the following day as every body charged off to try and find the plane. never a boring day!