PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight training on B1/B2 Visa
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2010, 21:10
captain_murray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flight training on B1/B2 Visa

Hi all,

I am currently working in the Florida on a yacht, I have a B1/B2 vis which allows me to work in the states on a vessel which is not USA registered.

I am looking at taking a bit of time off and want to do a 21 day JAA ppl in florida, heres the issue, it is generally excepted that a M1 visa is required to enter the USA with the purpose of flight training then before training begins you have to do the TSA verification backgroud check, however as I said I am already in the country and do not need to speak to Immigration

do I still need a m1 visa??
i know it is possible to apply to change visa status from I-539, but as I will continue to work after the course I dont want to change my Visa status if its not 100 % required

There seems to be lots of views on this depending who you speak to. Schools who are authorized to issue I-20 forms say its definetly required and the others, which theres lots of dont.

Reading the US immigration info is very difficult as the information is so general you could take it anyway i.e they say for a vocational student course you must have M1 but JAA ppl isnt a vocational course as its only a private license, not commercaiL!

any help would be much appreciated! thanks

also if anyone can suggest a good school in florida, ideally around fort lauderdale it would be much appreciated!